FAQs About Adoption And The Father's Consent

One of the challenges that birth mothers can face when choosing adoption is getting the birth father onboard with the idea. If the father does not consent or is unavailable to give his consent, it might still be possible to continue on with the adoption process. If you are facing consent issues with the birth father, here is what you need to know. 

What If the Father Does Not Agree?

The level of involvement that the father plans to offer has a huge bearing on whether or not his disagreement to the adoption matters in the eyes of the law. Since the child has not been born, many courts turn to his treatment of the birth mother to determine whether or not it is credible to believe that he will be actively involved in the child's life. 

Depending on the state in which you live, if the father is unwilling to offer some financial support to you during your pregnancy and has failed to help with expenses related to the upcoming arrival of the baby, the court might view this as a sign that he will not be involved in the child's life. You can use his actions to argue you should be allowed to place the child up for adoption. 

What If the Father's Whereabouts Are Unknown?

Even if you are unable to locate the father, you can possibly still move forward with the adoption. During the process, you are required to post notices in newspapers indicating that the child will be placed for adoption. You also have to make a real effort to find the father. Once the notices are posted and a certain period of time has passed, you can move forward with the adoption.

How long you can wait before the adoption can proceed varies by state. The newspapers in which the notices are to be placed depends on the suspected whereabouts of the father. The adoption agency can help you determine where to place the notices. 

It is important to note that some states have a Putative Father Registry or Paternity Registry. The registry is designed to protect the parental rights of fathers. If a man is registered in the registry, his rights cannot be waived without his consent. The adoption agency can check the registry in your state to determine if the child's father is registered.

Regardless of the situation, work with a social worker within the adoption agency like the one at this website link to get help with dealing with consent issues.